Investing In the Visian ICL for Keratoconus: IntraOcular Lenses

Tuesday, September 25th, 2012, 5:59 pm

In the beginning stages of Keratoconus many patients have to use glasses and contact lenses. The continued change in prescriptions often cause these patients to get new ones regularly. The Visian ICL or Intra Ocular Contact lenses is a treatment that can not only help improve your quality of vision but also reduce  some of the frustrations of glasses and contact lenses.

The Visian ICL is placed behind your cornea and iris (colored portion of eye), but in front of your natural lens to provide support to your current vision. The use of the Visian ICL will noticeably improve your quality of vision almost immediately. The Visian ICL is made of Collamer a special material that allows it to be durable, and not break down when in place. The bio-compatible material doesn’t require any maintenance and can be removed if necessary.

Below are a couple other benefits:

The Visian ICL has been quickly adopted as a procedure of choice: The lens is similar to what is  used in cataract surgeries, however it is now an alternative to r the LASIK procedure because of the quality of vision and the ability to change them if needed without damage to the cornea. These factors has increased the use of the Visian ICL both from safety and technology.

The Visian ICL gives you the option to reduce the need for Glasses or Contact lenses: In most keratoconus patients, this may not completely eliminate your need for contacts or glasses, but it can greatly reduce your need by reducing a majority of your prescription.

The implant needs no maintenance after it is put in place, unlike glasses or contact lenses.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Category: Keratoconus, keratoconus sufferers, Keratoconus Treatments, Living with Keratoconus, Uncategorized, Visian ICL

7 Responses to “Investing In the Visian ICL for Keratoconus: IntraOcular Lenses”

1. Lisa L. Lee November 7th, 2012, 2:48 am

Is the Visian ICL an option if I have corneal transplants in both eyes? Is it possible to “max out” an eye glass prescription? They tell me that I can only wear hard contact lenses, and I am not comfortable wearing them, as they have slipped off my corneas. Thank God at the time I was not a driver, but now I am, and even with my glasses things are still blurry, especially in my left eye, where it is totally blurry even with brand new glasses.

2. editor June 24th, 2013, 5:37 pm

In many cases with patients who have had a graft (cornea transplant) either PRK or Visian ICL can be preformed to help reduce overall prescription and improve quality of vision. Unfortunately glasses can only provide so much correction, I would suggest looking into doctors who perform Visian ICL in your area.

3. murtadha abaas March 10th, 2013, 11:08 am

regards
    I have keratoconus in both my eye. in the right eye, on April 4 2010 had implant intact REND,after the operation, the first and second month I have my vision gets better but in the forth month my vision decreased and got bad . during the attached picture (2012–2013) is there any progress in the case .. if the remove intact form right eye can I make ICL

best regards

p.s

– left eye make no any surgury before
    – ege / 35 years
    – with glass

R (6 / 12)
    sph cyl axss
    – 1.5 3.5 + 135

L ( 6 / 18)
    sph cyl axss
    1.5 – 3.5 + 135

4. editor June 24th, 2013, 5:42 pm

I would suggest getting in contact with your doctor to determine the best course of action and whether it is simply an adjustment of the location of your Intac that will resolve the situation or if removal is the best option.

If you are not comfortable returning to the same physician, I could suggest another doctor. Where are you located?

5. Darrin Quick January 6th, 2015, 6:23 pm

I have palusive margenal degeneration Will vision ICL work for me without crosslinking

6. editor March 5th, 2015, 7:09 pm

PMD can continue to progress as well. Holcomb C3-R treats the far periphery of the cornea where PMD is located. Other crosslinking treatments only treat the center 7-8mm, therefore you would want to consider the Holcomb C3-R to stabilze and stop further vision correction and then consider Visian ICL. You can sometimes have Holcomb C3-R and Visian ICL at the same visit.

7. Darrin Quick March 11th, 2015, 11:14 pm

I had the crosslinking done on Feb 4 . At the time I didn’t know about Holcomb c3-r. So regular crossing will not help pmd.